Tuesday, March 23, 2010

It's Tuesday! No Teaser!

I'm knee deep in revisions. I have been getting responses from my beta readers and so far so good. I love their honesty and comments, so far I'm in agreement with the suggestions and that is always a good thing - even if they are some tough recommendations. I love editing after getting comments from a beta. It feels good to be polishing - catching things that I missed earlier and making my MS as clean and shiny as it can be. It also brings me one step closer to querying.

I did something crazy.

I let my best friend read my MS. I find this isn't always a good idea because it can be awkward if they don't love it, and criticism stings differently coming from a friend than it does from an impartial beta reader. Good news - she stayed up until 1am to finish reading it! We talked about it all day yesterday and it was so much fun to chat about the characters and issues I'm having. I'm pretty sure I won't be writing her review of it on any agent queries, "My mom and my best friend really think it's cool..." but it's good to have someone to bore on end with questions.

I have another good friend who has been reading along with me from the beginning and her initial help is the only reason Normal is where it is now. She held my hand through those self-conscious, overly dramatic writer moments.

My point here... through this journey I'm growing braver with each step. I'm sharing my dreams with others and accepting their help. I think this makes all the difference.

2 comments:

SJL~ said...

I'm so excited for you! I can't wait to read it in it's final glory!!!!

Heather Dougherty said...

Well S - of course you will read it in all it's final glory... since you also read the first, second, third... drafts.

Miss you!