Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Another day... another post... more words...

I love the beginning of a book. Everything flows so nicely and I don't have to worry about pesky things like plot continuity because hey, everything is new right? I figured this part of NaNo would be the easy part and so far I have been right, it would be wonderful if this novel just flew through me. I can dream!

A friend of mine expressed serious doubts about the quality of writing that happens from trying to spew 50K in 30 days. I say, I agree with him. I'm sure some of the NaNo writers are producing grade A, super polished, gorgeous writing. I'm more sure though that the majority of us are writing crap. That doesn't mean it shouldn't be done, it doesn't mean it's not a worthy endeavor. I think allowing the free flow of words and pushing them out on to paper/screen is critically important to both newbie writers and experienced, published authors. NaNo pushes us to write, in all it's craptastical goodness so that we have something to mold and shape into a pretty little package someday.

This is truly the best and worst of writing in one 30 day time frame. Some use NaNo as an excuse to write their very first novel, others do NaNo for inspiration, others for the pure challenge. Whatever the reason, I say it's about writing, and that's just plain good. In February or March of next year, it might turn into something great, once I hit my third, fourth, fifth revision. Maybe I won't bother to revise and just tuck it away. Who knows. Talk with me on December 1st and see what I think about it.

My count at the end of day two is 3,416 words. My characters continue to surprise me (I had no idea my MC's hearing would be so acute) and I love them all so far.

It's a done deal now, the secret is out and Leigh finally knows the truth. How on earth does someone, especially a 16 year old girl, deal with news like this.

I guess I'm about to find out.

1 comment:

Pamela Calhoun said...

If the book turns out anywhere near as good as this blog about it... I think it going to be fantastical!