Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Fighting the urge...

It's a battle I'm losing, but I'm trying to write most of this without editing excessively as I go. I tend to write 10 pages and then spend a bunch of time editing and then continuing on. I'm trying to get the story out of my head and onto paper this time. Let it all hang out there on the paper. Then I can chop away and edit, edit, edit, but it's harder than it sounds.

I keep hearing, "watch the adjectives", "don't ask, don't tell" (oh wait, I think that one is 'show, don't tell'), "is that ANOTHER adverb?" "is there a plot here?"

My motto right now is that it is what it is. I write with an excessive amount of description, adjectives... adverbs and any other ad-things I can do that vividly bring to life my characters and the setting. Unfortunately I also know that is the trademark of a weak writer that doesn't trust their reader enough to visualize their own world. (Yes, I've been re-reading "Self-editing for fiction writers")

So, tonight my mind has too many other things on it to allow me to lose myself in my world. My MC is struggling to understand her new place in her family, the world and a fight for survival. In the mood I'm in she'd just go run out in front of a bus and end it. Except I know she's strong and she wouldn't ever do that right? hmmmmmmmmmmm.... I'm going to bed so that she may live to see another day (or night.. she is a vampire after all. Does she even do the day? What about that pesky sun... what happens to my MC in the sun? does she sparkle? smoke? catch ablaze? get sunburned? bloody hell!)

Oh 3,910 words.

1 comment:

Pamela Calhoun said...

Oh Heather, you are precious! You go girl, I know you can do it. NaNo away!